Understanding Your PPL Electric Bill
This is a sample of a PPL bill. The sections in red are the ones particularly relevant and essential for shopping for an alternative electricity supplier.
7. Message Center - Within this section PPL and your alternative supplier will have messages related to your electricity services and bill. The messages with a red exclamation point next to it are critical messages.
8. Monthly Usage Comparison Chart - The monthly usage comparison shows you your monthly usage for the current month and compares it to your monthly usage last year for the same month.
9. Meter Read Table - It shows you the actual usage you had for a current billing period instead of the average amount.
10. Yearly Comparison Table/Method of Payment - This section first shows your yearly comparison measured on a monthly basis from the year prior. The second and more important part to this section is the method of payments. There are 4 methods of payments illustrated, online, mail, phone, and correspondence.
11. Account Information - Section 11 is the same as section 1. It provides the essential parts to a bill including account number, due date, and amount due.
12. Payment Stub - This section is where your payment stub is.
This is the second page of your PPL electric bill. The sections in red are the ones particularly relevant and essential for shopping for an alternative electricity supplier.
1. Contact Information - The contact section give you multiple ways to contact PPL with any questions or concerns. Remember when you switch electricity supplier you will still have PPL as your distributor, so any issues with the electricity getting to your house such as a power outage make sure to contact PPL and not your alternative supplier.
2. Account Information - Included in this section is the billing account number, due date, and amount due. Each part is essential to paying for your bill and the first part is very important when it comes to switching to a new supplier. The Account number a 9 digits, 5 digits followed by a dash and four more digits, is the number you need to tell your new supplier in order to switch over and save money on electricity.
3. Service Address - This section provides the address in which PPL is providing the electricity to. Make sure this address correct or it could get a little dark at night. This section also includes the account number.
4. Billing Summary - This is the Billing Summary section. In this section you will find the charges from PPL as a distributor and either PPL or new alternative supplier for suppliers. In addition it shows the amount due and the due date.
5. Electric Usage Graph - The electricity usage graph depicts the daily usage over the last 2 years. You can look at this graph to find out which months you are using more electricity and see how to bring the usage level down.
6. Price to Compare - In this section you can find the price to compare. For this bill it is 8.774 cents per kWh. The price to compare is a very important part of the switching process. The price to compare is made up of the transmission and generation charge, and you use this to compare what the competitive supplier rate is (which also made up from the transmission and generation charge). The price to compare for PPL changes in March, June, September, and December.
1. Your Supplier Contact Information - This sections title is what it says and provides you with your contact information for your electricity supplier.
2. Billing Details - The billing details provide an even more in depth breakdown of your billing charges than what was previously stated in section 4 on the front side of your PPL electricity bill. It shows your previous and current balance amount as well as your supplier and PPL electric utilities charges.
3. Manage Your Account - In this section it displays the different ways you can manage your billing account. You can either visit pplelectric.com or call 1-800-342-5775. In addition you can go to pplelectric.com/rates to check your rate schedule.
4. General Information - The General Information section provides you with regulatory information regarding your rates.
5. Understanding Your Bill - The understanding your bill section is the most important part of the reverse side of your PPL bill. It explains the definitions of words essential to understanding the deregulated electricity market.